When to let go of a girlfriend
BY DONNA HUSSEY-WHYTE All Woman writer
HAVING a best friend, especially a girlfriend, can be a wonderful thing. It guarantees you free counselling, a constant ear to listen to your numerous problems without criticism, someone to cry with, to share with, someone to guide you through your rough times and someone to go shoe shopping with! But while you may have cherished your best friend over the years, there comes a time when you might just need to let her go. You know the times — it’s when the trust goes, and when mending things is impossible.
Here are signs you should let go of your girlfriend.
1. The things you tell her in secret come to light, everytime — So you told her about the sexually transmitted infection you contracted via a one- night stand, only to hear someone else ask you if you got over it. This is a prime case when you need to dump her without apology.
2. She no longer returns your calls — Once she was always there for you, however, in recent times, she never returns your calls and never replies to your text messages. When you run into her at the supermarket she tells you she has been meaning to call you but didn’t get the chance. This may be your cue to find a new friend.
3. She tells you your boyfriend of five years is no good for you — She once encouraged and congratulated you on finding a really great guy. Despite the fact that he still treats you like a queen, she keeps asking when you plan on leaving him. Then you spot her in the mall, laughing and looking into his eyes. There’s no forgiving this kind of behaviour.
4. You hear stories of her being out on dates with your boyfriend — So family members and persons close to you keep telling that they spotted her with your boyfriend at the movies, at the mall, shoe shopping and at lunch, and neither of them have ‘fessed up to you about their outings. And when you do confront them, they both say they meant to tell you or that they just ran into each other. Not only is this time to let go of her, but of him too!
5. Instead of encouraging your dreams she kills them — If each time you mention a venture that you want to pursue she tells you it makes no sense and that it will never work, it’s time to let her go. The fact is that you need someone positive around you to help you achieve your goals and to encourage them along. If while she smashes your ideas she has no positive alternatives to them, then it’s time to let her go.
6. Every time you get involved with a man, she steals your thunder — If each time you try to date someone she ends up being the one going out with him, especially if you told her how much you are interested in him, then it’s time to let her go. She is obviously in competition with you for your men!
7. She does everything to get that promotion you have been working so hard for — So your best friend works in your office and while she knows how hard you have been working to get that position just made available, she decides to tell the boss about the time you left your post when you shouldn’t while handing in her application. Friends have each other’s backs, she obviously doesn’t have yours.
Obara Meji is a spiritualist, Ifa-Orisa practitioner, and teacher of metaphysics. Since 2011 she has used her online platform to share her personal experiences to those seeking answers about spirituality. Her teachings will expand into short stories, novels, and public speaking to continue her mission of bringing enlightenment to the world.