Looking back into my life, I am amazed at all the signs that showed themselves to me, that I were to become who I am today.
As a child growing up in Kingston, Jamaica, although afraid of them, I was fascinated by ghost stories being told by the elders on our veranda at nights. Stories of rolling calves (this is a particular kind of ghost that we talk about in Jamaica), De Laurence, and if Miss Mary next door obeah her sister and gave her “foot.” Conjuring these memories as I write makes me laugh as I could see myself sucking my thumb and sitting on my mother’s lap, covering my ears when the conversation came up about ghosts.
Although I only pressed my hands gently over my ears, not entirely covering them, so that I could still hear them talk. Yes, I was an odd child; and what fed my curiosity, I believe, the most, was my fascinating mother. In my mind as I look back on her, growing up, she taught me many things without actually having me as a student. I watched her and listened to whatever she would say. Out of all her children, I was the one who was unknowingly interested in everything and all things spiritual, possibly something innate within me, who knew who I were to be, told me to pay attention.
As I’ve written in other posts, I have always been aware of things that were beyond what the physical eyes could see although I had no way of explaining what I felt, and so it acted out in me being a fearful child, I was always afraid. I was so afraid that my family at times became annoyed with me for never wanting to sleep alone (sleep paralysis/duppy hol’ dung which plagued me), for being fearful of going into any room or being there by myself. Unknowingly, I was aware, spiritually, of things that could not be seen with the physical eyes. They were there, some who were my own guides and guardians, and others who realized that this child had a light within her, and thus made me feel their presence. I connected with the movie the Sixth Sense of a boy who was fearful of things that he realized that he could see and feel but had no idea what they were. This movie was the premise of my life, I believe.
Back then, it was as if those who were guiding me, held a lantern that lit my path of the road that I needed to trod. It was like following a pathway of light held by my guides, I was afraid of what I might be following, but yet still curious and fascinated enough to continue on. That light led me to America. The night before we were to leave, I went on my knees and prayed to God to lead us to a good place when we arrived in America (which I did not want to go).
In my prayer I asked God to set me free until I settled in America and when he was ready, call me back in again, for I had no idea if I could even find God in America, or if there was even a Church that I could go to. I was migrating to a new land, new people, new way of life, and new beginning. In hindsight I chuckle as I look back now and see even the very clothes that I wore when I left Jamaica, told me of my journey to spirituality, but I knew it not. The day we left Jamaica was on a Tuesday – the day of Ogun, the deity of Iron in the Ifa/Orisa tradition and protective deity of Jamaica. His color is green. On the day I left Jamaica, I wore a black body suit and green pants (two colors of the Jamaican flag which was not planned lol), however, the green represented Ogun and the black represented my ancestors.
The reason Ogun is important here is because not only is he the God of Iron and one of the patron Orisa’s of Jamaica, but he is also the one who clears the way. With his machete, he is the one who removes obstacles and clears the path; and also the Ifa that I have now, Ogun stands strongly within it’s verses. It was important for me to point this out to you because down to the very food we eat, the clothes we wear, and the jobs we do tells us of our paths, if only we know. Remember I always tell you that life speaks to us in codes – we must be wise to understand them. Had I been a knowledgeable elder then, seeing a younger Obara Meji heading off to America dressed as she was, I would have held a secret smile because I would have known who she were to be and the path that she was heading on.
You will know that you are on a spiritual path or on becoming awake or on your journey, regardless of who you are now and your beliefs regarding religion, if you:
- Are very interested in every and all things spiritual or occult! example, books, spiritual parties, festivals, drumming, spiritual songs, spiritual churches, etc
- The Universe and all it’s cosmology appeals to you
- Religion and it’s teachings, you begin to question, trying to see what is beyond what has been put into books
- You have visions and dreams where you may see or experience things that are out of the norm
- A person who experiences Sleep Paralysis often or once in a while
- Once in a while there is an intense vibrational feeling in the body (i.e. feeling as if you’re swelling when you’re awake and not asleep)
- A personal connection to a particular culture and their spiritual traditions/almost feeling as if you’ve been apart of that culture before
- Deja Vu Moments which are stunning in it’s flashback, remembering some of your incarnations or dreaming of them
- The ability to foresee things even if you do not say it, you will see it manifest or unfold
- The ability to sense when something is wrong an extrasensory perception
- A unique love for nature and all within
- A fear of nature and all within/the ability to see or sense spirit entities even if you are not sure what they are
- A fear of sleeping alone and not being able to explain why that fear is there
- Little or no friends
- A disconnection within your family/ being the black sheep
- Depression, anxiety, and panic attacks
- An unusual fear which you cannot explain
- An unusual curiosity about death and all it entails
- Cats and other animals being attracted to you
- Constantly blamed for things you’re innocent of and unable to convince everyone else otherwise (in this area it shows you are a leader and are very strong)
- Being a defender, the village lawyer, the one who always has to speak up
- Being apart of your religion but still feeling a disconnection from it
- An urge to build a spiritual altar to connect with ancestors, but please note that even though you have built an altar, do not believe that you have achieved any type of “power,” you have just been born, and no where is a child born and able to walk immediately as it comes from it’s mothers womb.
- An urge to study herbs and plants and it’s medicinal properties and values
- An attraction to crystals, stones, and other elements
- Being fascinated by spiritual people
These are some of the ways a person can know if they were born with a certain “light” that will eventually guide them if they pay attention to where they ought to be and to who they are.
Side Note: Please know that if you are one of the “chosen ones” then you are on your way of being an interpreter of the world beyond and this world. Whether you are being gifted with healing, prophesying, warning, or otherwise, the “power” of being a spiritualist never belongs to the human being but to his Divine Creator who has sent him on this journey along with his guides who has helped him find his path. Most often, people, after being lead to their correct path, begins to believe that the “power” they hold, is their own. This is what destroys them in the end.
There was a time I noticed that my father had a large scar straight down the middle of his stomach. It began from the middle of his chest and ended past his belly button. My mother told us that he had 3 operations for Ulcer, after which we found out that he had gone through, as a young man, a horrible situation of being tied (spiritually binded) to his first baby’s mother (read here). After I met my Padrino, one day he was doing a Misa, a spiritual seance. He was a medium. The spirit came down, greeted me and told me a fascinating story: He knew me from I was a small baby that my parents would put into a blue crib and I would drink from a yellow nipple bottle while laying on my back. The spirit told me that he was the one who brought me to America with the consent of my nonphysical elders, because he was now one of my guides. He also said that he was paid to kill (my enemy’s) father, and on the day that he came to our house to do the work, as he entered the front door, he saw the most beautiful child laying in her crib drinking from her bottle. He told me that he fell in love with me that day. Not in way of wife, but in way of the “beauty” my aura radiated; and although he had been paid to take my father with him to the world of beyond, he realized he could no longer do so because of this child.
Instead and because he was already paid for the work, he did meet my father and hurt him, not in a way to kill him but in the way of sickness, which manifested itself in the form of Ulcers that he had to have 3 major operations on. I was shocked at this revelation during the Misa. Padrino was indeed not there and this was the spirit speaking, for how else could anyone know this about my father, as I sat there among all who were strangers to me, and my life back in Jamaica. The spirit continued to tell me that upon doing this work he opted to be apart of my spiritual guides and has been with me to this day. It was the first time in my life that I learned the name of one of my spirit guides and his function in my life.
He told me that Jamaica could not have supported who I were to be and although I resisted leaving the island, I had to, in order for Obara Meji to be born. With that revelation, I, who was on a path, sitting in Padrino’s house, realized that no matter what we believe we are here to do in this life, no matter who we aspire to be, it is the road of our destiny that is marked to be fulfilled.
Recognizing that you are on a spiritual path is not something that you will work hard at seeing or realizing. It will come to you because it has already found you. You were born to be who you are. Now there are people who resist their journey, I was one who tried, but try as I might, and as fast as I ran, I could not outrun what God had already written for me.
I love you all,
Oò ṣá’gi lọ́gbẹ́, oò ta ògùrọ̀ lọ́fà, o dé ìdí ọ̀pẹ o ńgbẹnu s’ókè, ṣé ọfẹ ló máa ńro ni?
You neither cut an oil palm, nor punctured a raffia, yet you opened up your mouth under a palm for wine. Does it drip freely?
[Nothing ventured, nothing gained]
Everything comes when it must, and everything happens for a reason, do not hurry your life, what is destined for you, cannot escape you, just keep the faith, be patient and be prayerful, filled with compassion, kindness and respect for all, let these qualities be among your name, God will fill in the rest…..Obara Meji!
All religions are valid as long as it teaches peace and love….Obara Meji
There are no disappointments in life, only lessons learned!….Obara Meji